Basics COMMENTS

t1m:-
so why is the content box positioned to the right and bottom? just curious.
(20.07.2004, 20:41)

So that you can add a fixed header, footer and left navigation column that will remain on the screen while the content scrolls. Similar to a framed layout.
(20.07.2004, 21:48)

A print css style has been added so that it is now possible to printout these instructions.
(15.08.2004, 19:28)

Paulo:-
Great work! It's simply impressive. And enough back patting, lest your ego gets too bloated
;-)
Seriously, now, you know full well the quality of your work - keep it up.
Personally I've been trying to get a sort "Fixed Style 3" to work on all browsers, without throwing IE into quirks mode. What I'd like to do is restrict the scroll bar to the contents div, having a fized header, footer, and left panel. Impossible, or is this another challenge to Stu? Please note that I cannot use IE in quirks mode. Thanks and keep up the good work.
(14.10.2004, 13:50)

tbore:-
Very cool. Exactly what I needed for a simple admin panel. Saved me a lot of time and frustration. Thank you.
(08.11.2004, 21:12)

Fabrizio:-
Is it possible to obtain the same "frame effect" without putting IE in quirks mode?
(16.01.2005, 22:01)

It is not possible (as far as I know) to do this with IE in standards compliant mode.
(19.01.2005, 13:27)

Wol:-
Why do you need to set the height (for IE) or the max-height (for other browsers) in both the html *and* body styles?
(21.01.2005, 01:43)

Steve:-
Have you produced a version of the layout that works on Mac ie?
(05.02.2005, 16:46)

Steve, I don't have access to a Mac so cannot see what the problem is or how to overcome it. Sorry.
(05.02.2005, 17:15)

punkfu:-
why will my scroll wheel on my mouse not scroll in some of the layouts? that just seems odd. it doesn't seem like it would make a difference...
(25.02.2005, 00:15)

Kurra:-
my scroll mouse works in IE 6, but not in firefox or netscape 7.2
(25.02.2005, 03:26)

This is a known bug in FF, Mozilla, Netscape. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next update (FF 1.0.1 still has the bug)
(25.02.2005, 08:09)

Tim G:-
Stu - someone told me that the page wouldn't even open with his Mac (I think he was using IE for Mac).

Very nice work, but it's that Mac issue that's blocking me from adopting the hack. (That and the fact that I like to be standards-compliant. Wish IE was.)
(23.03.2005, 21:16)

Tim G, I have added hacks for IE/Mac that should at least make the pages visible.
(18.04.2005, 10:53)

Ralph Johns:-

Have created this page(s) http://www.ralphjohnsuk.dsl.pipex.com/

Can not get it to display more than just the Bike on Mac IE. (Also puts up th hand icon like a link on th whole screen)

I have seen the comments above. Do you have any ideas as to how to get Mac IE to display this better. (like any of the Divs)

I have shaded the Bike from a hatched .gif in the #content div

Displays ok in Safari and Firefox on a Mac.
(05.07.2005, 23:28)

Ricardo:-
I took out the left div at http://www.freewebs.com/gmn17/ and it works in IE FF Safari and Konqueror(NN4 and IEMac, I don't know) It is fast and I haven't had any problems with it at all, I have been to your site for years and I have always admired it, many thanks.
(18.07.2005, 18:43)

Mark:-
Is it possible to center the fixed-layout 3 (http://www.cssplay.co.uk/layouts/body4.html)? I want the scrolling content to fit window-sizes between 800px and 1024px (I have a background image which is 1024px in width) and as soon as the window size is higher than 1024px the whole layout should be centered.
(28.10.2005, 14:05)

vvcj:-
好æäºï¼Good!
I like it very much!
(19.12.2005, 15:52)

Momotaro:-
I included H/UL Non Floating Menus in the head block using .centered ={margin:0 auto;} to get it to work in FF but need .centered ={margin:0 0 0 auto;}for IE centering!
And, including a fixed background image to the body tag only works in FF, I thought IE can recognise this too but nop! Any clues on this?
(11.01.2006, 08:17)

Momotaro:-
I have fixed the disapearing background by just calling an image to "#left" then positioned it by defining px values relevant to "# left" and this removes the body {background-attachment=fixed;} tag requirement.
Scrolls nicely with image stationary.
Only the H/UL Non Floating Menu won't center in IE using .centered={margin:0 auto}tag!
(11.01.2006, 12:04)

Momotaro:-
Menu positions in center fine without IE in Quirks Mode but then the Scoll doesn't appear when browser is shrinked! This is a fun challenge! Forgive my 3 posts please.
(11.01.2006, 13:33)

Momotaro, put IE in standards compliant mode and add 'text-align:center;' to the #head style.
(11.01.2006, 19:32)

Jonah:-
Is there a way to choose exactly what in the quirks mode to choose, so that I can use strict mode and still get the right hand scrollbar?
(25.01.2006, 15:06)

Jonah, unfortunately not. It is either quirks or standards compliant but not a mixture.
(27.01.2006, 10:12)

Dave:-
Very cool stuff! I had always hoped that there would be an alternative to scripting
(27.06.2006, 20:22)

George Sutherland:-
Question about IE 7 and quirks mode...

Hi Stu - is there a way to make this layout (header, sidenav stay put while content scrolls), and not depend on quirks mode for IE? The reason I ask is it appears from this post that Microsoft has fixed many quirks for upcoming IE7. It seems quirks mode is the best way to get these results today -- but is there risk "quirks mode" sites will not work in IE7?

blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/08/22/712830.aspx

Thanks sharing your knowledge!!
(28.08.2006, 02:20)

I believe that IE7 will be able to make this work in the same way as Firefox etc. So using conditional comments could make this work in IE5.5, IE6 and IE7
(28.08.2006, 11:08)

George:-
Thanks for your answer re IE7. I found this chart very informative: centricle.com/ref/css/filters/

Have you tried to make an (IE compatible) fluid version of this Layout 3, with min/max widths?

The min/max widths at (www.quirksmode.org/css/width.html) appear to work in WinXP SP2 IE 6.029, is it because the page DTD is transitional?

Last, I'm a mac IT guy (but a novice programmer), so if you need someone to test in Safari/Firefox, I'd be happy to help!
(29.08.2006, 06:46)

George:-
Sorry - the min/max widths appeared to work in Win XP SP2 IE 6, but stopped working when I resized the window
(29.08.2006, 14:21)

George, min/max will not work in IE6 without the use of javascript. I have managed to get min-width to work with css only but not max-width.
(29.08.2006, 21:12)

Mike:-
This is pure trash - 6 hours to work and fun times and put the work in trash, cause all the stu'pids ideas do not work... w/o stus browser... real stu'pid!
(16.01.2007, 08:16)

Marco Spallone:-
You are amazing. This is the best css site I've found by far. I was working with a student in class today and two items we wanted to work on were dropdown lists and emulating frames. Your examples are extremely clear and work great.

Many many thanks for taking css to a level I will never have time to do on my own.
(20.06.2007, 02:27)

Bruce Riddell:-
I'm using your fantastic web site examples of CSS and DHTML to teach myself about life beyond standard HTML. See what I was able to with your BASICS example. I manage to figure out how the code works and to modify parts of it so as to change the layout and look. See www.gatewayservices.net/samples/basic/

Thank you !
I'll make a donation to help this wonder work to contiue.
(30.01.2008, 19:04)

naren:-
respected sir,
u r amazing .this is best css site i found ever...thanx for helping us...god bless you
(05.03.2008, 07:16)