Basics2 COMMENTS

Tobias:-
Sorry to burst the bubble - but the 'now working with anchors' is simply not true. I had problems with anchors jumping beneath the header for a year now & tried to tackle with it more than once.
Then I stumbled over your example which seemed to get it goin' & I was all "Hail Stu - Almighty CSS-God"... but it appears I gave you credit before you actually deserved it: You just positioned that #middle anchor high enough above the actual element that is the middle of you content so that the anchor jumps correctly. That's not really "working with anchors"... :(
As I didn't get this thing solved for a year now, I do not deserve much credit either, I know. I'll now eventually resort to an ugly Javascript-solution by use of the behaviour-library. It seems to be the REALLY ONLY way to get anchors to jump correctly. *sob*
(26.03.2007, 21:21)

Tobias, if you don't mind it not quite working in IE5.01 and IE5.5 then there is an answer that does work in IE6, FF, Opera etc
www.cssplay.co.uk/test/basic3.html
(26.03.2007, 23:07)

Tobias:-
Basic3 is a possibility - but my client wants the vertical scrollbar at full height of the browser-window and is quite deaf when I'm trying to explain why it might be smart to do otherwise. But that's just the way clients are, I guess!
Thanks anyway! My co-worker and I have now implemented some fancy JS-scroller that scrolls down when clicking on an anchor. It's not clean, nice, accessible and needs JS enabled - but it makes our client happy because it's fancy and his beloved scrollbar is at full height... ;)
(29.03.2007, 11:45)

Tobias, clients eh.....who'd 'ave 'em?
(29.03.2007, 13:11)

Marco Soria:-
Is there a way to achieve this using a static width, lets say 900 px, and to align header, content and footer in the center of the screen?
(09.04.2007, 02:38)

Jeremy:-
Your style is beautiful. Thank you for the poetry.
(29.08.2007, 04:13)

Toomas Lepik (Estonia):-
Vau. Just when I had a thought to make
a beautiful page and was searching for
something like "back to basics 2", it
was there. Perfect! Keep up the good work :)
(05.03.2008, 22:04)

marc:-
Is it possible to add a background image that will stay visible for the entire site? Like one big fixed image in the middle.
(30.03.2008, 10:28)

jay:-
brilliant , i was looking this for ages, thanks so much
(30.07.2008, 14:00)

Paul:-
Great code Stu, Fixed Layout version 2 works a treat and in IE7.

Note, if using a fixed width element in the scrolling content, IE6 needs "width: 100%;" otherwise you lose scrollbars off the edge.
(04.09.2008, 05:52)