Content: COMMENTS

jorge:-
holy..! wow! never thought you could actually embed content in CSS... coz... well.. doesn't it defeat the purpose? :P but still, a LOT of eye-openers here :)
(20.04.2005, 06:35)

Hi jorge, I tend to agree that this is slightly outside the purpose of CSS. The only problem with this is that you cannot highlight the inserted content. You can also use it to hide email addresses by inserting the @ character into what appears to be ordinary text. If only IE could do this :o(
(20.04.2005, 08:00)

jorge:-
i think we all have a huge list of "if only's" for IE :)
(25.04.2005, 02:55)

brent:-
I'm building an application that is a hack of Firefox so didn't have to worry about cross-browser issues and actually used this very css to add a sort of pointer to a list nav, so that when the user rolled over a nav item I added a >> to it to indicate that's where they were. So there are uses for it where it doesn't defeat the purpose.
(05.07.2005, 22:17)

I use this on my home page to style the various <h2> tags using for example
h2#welcome:target:before {content:"you jumped here > "; font-size:0.6em; color:#c00;}
to indicate a jump down the page from the links at the top (Internet Explorer doesn't see these but it doesn't detract from their viewing experience).
(20.08.2005, 22:44)

Meta:-
Sadly doesn't work in Safari 2.0.2.
(07.12.2005, 13:36)

Andrei:-
IE7 Beta 2 still doesn't make it.
(08.02.2006, 21:13)

Mike:-
Doesn't appear to work in FF 2.0 RC3
(19.10.2006, 18:45)

Mike, must be a bug introduced in RC3 as it works ok in 1.5.0.7
(19.10.2006, 19:24)

Mike, FF2.0 Official Release is fine with this.
(25.10.2006, 15:07)

Roy:-
Hmm, still not working in IE.
(26.10.2006, 06:55)

Ellen:-
I am sure that you are correct in that the issue of not being able to select the generated text will eventually be "debugged" out of future browser versions, I was left to wonder if this might present an opportunity to perhaps overwrite an image with text like this (styled to 100% opacity = invisible)and render the image unable to be copied?

Actually, now that I think about it, this won't work since images aren't actually copied, they are downloaded and the right button (contextual) menu still worked fine (offering to display the background image, so must assume it will recognize an underlying image) even though I couldn't highlight the text. (I'm using FF2.0.0.1 with OS X Tiger on a mini)

I'm relatively new to CSS but pretty I'm sure putting this text into a div over the pic wouldn't help either.

Still, it would be nice.
(14.01.2007, 07:53)