Flyout with 4 sub-levels COMMENTS

Merri:-
GaryAJ: there are always things you can consider. A select box would be a simple lightweight solution that skips the need for a flyout entirely, but it would still be useable. You could even retain some flyout or tab style by switching visible select box by :hovered main level element, thus lessening the scrolling length somewhat effectively.

Do you need to keep the whole organization structure visible at all times? I got the image that this list would be accessible on every page. Why there can't be a centric page or pages for the organization branches?

One way to save space in the flyout navigation is that if the layout is designed so that the current main branch that is navigated in is as a separate navigation on side of the page, thus eliminating (probably) a great deal of links in the other navigation.

There are probably other ways to go, but I'm tired now (2 AM, yay!). And I don't know all that much about the data, I haven't (yet) had a need to sort out that complex organization trees, not to mention I don't know anything about the site they're in.

Hopefully some of the above applies and is useable.
(22.03.2007, 00:33)

Tom:-
Hi,
thats really great stuff. I will play around with your code, and if i start to use it in commercial sites, i won't forget the donation to you.

Thanks
(22.03.2007, 07:13)

Brian:-
So I'm using this to create the same flyout menu above, but with an opaque background. The problem ensues when the links become longer and line wrap. ex: "Elementary School"... Is there any fix for this? It may be caused by the hack to make <IE7 be opaque. I'm not sure. If you could please take a look at it I would be forever grateful. (also, i think this may have been a similar problem to what Titoon was having)

Here is a link to what i've been developing. The link is too long so I separated it...
pcs-www01.peoriachristian.org/
peoriachristianschool.net.upgrade/
index.php?section=1

Thanks again for everything!
(13.04.2007, 23:07)

Nimro:-
Hi Stu, thx for this incredibly valuable website. I'm using this flyout menu (cut down to two levels) and am looking into adding basic tabbing accessibility for the second level. Concerning accessibility your code contains a rule for the first level (line 75/76). Any pointers as to how this could be achieved for second level (so it 'flies out' when tabbing through) ?

Thanks in advance!
(09.05.2007, 06:51)

Nimro, it is not possible to have tabbing on the flyouts. You should have the top level clickable to take you to a sub page with the drop down menu options. You will need javascript to have all the items selectable but then you will deny access to the 10% who have javascript off.
(09.05.2007, 19:40)

Nimro:-
Thx Stu. Perhaps something for a new css pseudo class (:tabbing) lol, you saved me some hair ;).
(10.05.2007, 02:33)

Burt:-
Stu --

I am having trouble with this in Firefox where there seems to be underlines in the names of the menu items. It is strange even if you take out all of the css formating the unformatted item names are still underlined. This is not happening in Safari. Any ideas?

thanks
b
(29.05.2007, 06:04)

Windsun:-
Just a note on the vertical flyout menus - they seem to play havoc when using DWT's for some reason.

The culprit seems to be all the IE5.5 if/endif statements.
(17.07.2007, 00:01)

pete:-
Having problems moving the menu down to fit the heading. what do i need to adjust to make this work?
(17.08.2007, 23:48)

Rod:-
Stu,
There seems to be a problem with this menu and fixed DIVs in Firefox. Take a look at www.spauldingcenter.org/test/firefoxproblem.html. There is a flicker when moving to submenus. I've seen this in Firefox 2.0.0.10 on Windows and 2.0.0.9 on Linux but NOT 2.0.0.10 on Mac. Is this a Firefox bug? Works fine in other browsers.
Thx.