IE min width COMMENTS

xavi:-
Hey Stu, I'm a big fan of your page and everytime I've got to improve something of my CSS codes I check your page.

This time, I had an issue reffering to this tutorial. Let me explain:

I've a web with two colo schemes, one with a benetton looklike and another with grey tones. In this second one I've got some unexplainable problems with the colors. Some div's inside the page didn't show their bg colors correctly, so in that case i had to add the property display: inline-block; to the page content div (between header and footer ones) and then it work fine at all.

Have you encountered this issue on your tests?
(26.10.2006, 23:37)

Ram:-
You have done a great job.
but it does not work when a doc type specification is there at the top of the page.

DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"
(01.11.2006, 09:42)

Ram, this particular version uses quirks mode but the other four examples use standards compliant mode.
(01.11.2006, 17:11)

Jen:-
Champion!! Works a treat :-) Have applied it to the top frame of a two frame structure, to ensure our two lines of menu do not disappear when the window is too small... Only trouble now is retrospectively applying the code to the 8,000 or so pages we have that sit in the bottom frame of the site... Any ideas on how to do this without hours and hours of precious time??
(09.02.2007, 02:32)

John:-
I am trying to use this min-width for IE6 and I am not able to get it to work. I am using #width{width:100%; min-width:850px;}. I am using it in a div tag that I placed just after the opening body tag and just before the closing body tag. Can you please advise on how I can get it to work? What am I doing wrong?
(12.03.2007, 00:02)

Tim:-
Stu-
This is a great site and I look to your examples often to problems I have with CSS, Thank you for your hard work. This code how ever doesn't play nice with Adobe Contribute, :-(. A good portion of the page is off the screen to the left in the editor.
(02.04.2007, 14:23)

Dave:-
Stu,
Thanks, this helped me. In my case I used method 1 and applied the border to the body tag (I needed to do this without adding a div and I already had a container div wraping all the content). So here's what I did:

* html body {border-right:850px solid #fff; }
* html #container {display: inline-block; position: relative; margin-right: -800px; padding-right: 0px; }

I needed 50px of white space at the right, which accounts for the difference between 850px border and 800 px negative margin.

thanks again.
Dave
(21.04.2007, 22:44)

Luke Visinoni:-
Does anybody know how to use this and apply a max-width as well?
(25.04.2007, 18:17)

Dr.Diesel:-
Thx a lot. I found the quirksmode first and I couldn't figure out, why it doesn't work. Than I googled again and found Standards compilant, which worked - to the hell with such pseudosoft like IE, I hate it. For FF I make 10min programming and than 2 hours for ..cking IE . Thx again, I was going to lose my mind ...
(16.06.2007, 15:22)

gcp:-
doesnt appear to work on macs version of ie (no longer supported by ms), one should note that on the example that this is Windows IE only!
(17.07.2007, 04:59)