IE min width COMMENTS

Suro:-
Hi,

i have tried your method of getting min-width ... but i am using a 2 column fluid layout . the way its designed -( the inner container floats inside a wrapper etc) when i minimize the width of the browser window the text although not shrinking - shifts to the bottom. can you help ?
(30.07.2006, 10:42)

Jesse:-
You cannot begin to imagine how much you saved my heiny. THANK YOU!
(07.09.2006, 21:22)

RSLancastr:-
Thanks for what you do, but a thought: from a newbie's standpoint, the example is too complex. There is much in there which it is difficult for a newb to know if it is necessary for the hack or not. A style sheet and HTML with NOTHING in them but what is needed to demonstrate the hack would be great.

For example, I am building a site and discovered the mi-width problem. I google and find this page. I look at the HTML, and there is a ton of stuff in there (the b1, b2, b3 for example) which I, in all my newbness, can't tell if they relate to the hack or not. Do I need to include these things or not?

As a result, I have been unable to make the hack work for me, and sadly, will have to live with the IE bug making my pages look bad.
(14.09.2006, 16:32)

RSLancastr, if you look at the opening page www.cssplay.co.uk/boxes/minwidth.html and click that little 'scroll' image in the sub menu beneath the CSSplay logo you will be taken to an article which takes you step by step through the style.
(14.09.2006, 16:54)

Daniel Eloff:-
Awesome work Stu. I was previously using the expression approach, but it's iffy, and causes IE to hang at 100% CPU from time to time. I'm busy integrating your technique now.

For all the people moaning about the background image not showing through, you should be able to work around it by putting a (modified probably) background image over it. That's easy enough. Try working around the min-width instead and you'll soon come round.

RSLancastr does have a point though. It's not obvious what you need to use the hack. The <b> elements are required. Or rather, you need some block element with a given width inside your area otherwise it will have a min-size that is off by a little. I don't know enough to explain it, but it will be slightly less and then jump by about 10-20px after you've re-sized it past a certain point. It seems to have to do with wrapping the words. I simply borrowed the .rule class to test with, it fixes the issue if you put it inside the box. I imagine an invisible div with width equal to your min-width would suffice.

-Dan
(28.09.2006, 00:54)

Daniel, if you look at my comment to RSLancastr you will see that I have a step by step tutorial online (and there is an alternative method that allows a transparent background).
(28.09.2006, 07:51)

Marshall:-
Dude, you rock!
(11.10.2006, 18:31)

Kinger:-
Thanks! I can't tell you how grateful I am. I was tearing my hair out for hours until I found this page!
(17.10.2006, 00:54)

Shaf:-
I just cannot make my main nav stay locked without wrapping in IE. I have looked into the min-width issue and I just cannot make it work. Please help me! :(
(17.10.2006, 19:34)

Latvian:-
This is great! Finally I have found min-height for IE. Thank you very much! By the way, this is a very useful and great site.
(22.10.2006, 14:46)