Percentage PLUS pixels COMMENTS

Michael:-
Long time read, first time poster. :)

This is just amazing! You sir, are truly an amazing man! After I get over my shock, I might be able to figure out how to incorporate this where it could be used.
(06.05.2005, 22:19)

Paul Novitski:-
Good work, Stu. Here's your initial example rendered by a billion different browsers:

(08.05.2005, 18:35)

Thanks Paul, It looks like most combinations can cope with this. It was also interesting to see that most render the whole page correctly ;o)
(08.05.2005, 19:26)

Richard V:-
The sheer scope of this is inspiring. Being able to mix absolute and proportional sizes on a page is an incredible thought. Well done that man :)
(09.07.2005, 13:14)

Ralph Johns:-

This page http://www.stunicholls.myby.co.uk/boxes/plus.html displays in Firefox on a Mac and in IE 5.2.3 for Mac
Thinking of using this to get the http://www.stunicholls.myby.co.uk/layouts/basics.html to work in the Mac IE

Have found that the Border: -1px; in the Footer part causes the footer to disappear off the screen.

Having trouble getting the Mac IE to have the #content the same size as it appears in the Firefox (just below the Footer)

Where I am upto so far http://www.ralphjohnsuk.dsl.pipex.com/
(25.07.2005, 23:07)

JB:-
I don't suppose anyone has come up with a method of doing percentage MINUS pixels?
(27.07.2005, 12:44)

JB:-
Just to clear up what I mean. eg. My OUTER div has a height of 100%. I want my INNER div to have a height of 100% MINUS 15 pixels. The inner div would be 15 pixels shorter than the outer. Is there a "creative" way of doing this?

By the way, keep up the good work! :)
(27.07.2005, 12:52)

JB, um..you could try a 15px top margin on the inner div.
(22.08.2005, 13:38)

Lee Meador:-
I adapted your method to do 1 line tall box that is X% one color and 100-X% another color with the text over the top telling what the percentage (X) would be. This makes it look like a little meter.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

</div>
<p>Fini</p>
</body>
</html>
(26.08.2005, 16:35)

Lee Meador:-
Oh ... It works on IE 6 and Firefox 1.04.
(26.08.2005, 16:36)

MEMark:-

You wanted feedback on how it looks on the Mac. The examples look the same in Fx 1.5 and Safari 2.0.3 on Mac OS X 10.4.4.

/M
(15.01.2006, 12:49)

Thanks for the feedback MEMark.
(15.01.2006, 14:57)

shaggy:-
it works great on all of the newer mac browsers. i wouldn't bother with ie mac, nobody uses it anyway.

very very cool!
(04.04.2006, 17:04)

Chris Klaus:-

It looks like there's a problem in IE 7 beta 2. Regardless this is still a great concept!
(20.04.2006, 20:35)

g(eek)dog:-
Wow! Works in ie 5.2 for mac. Despite this browser being written off as crappola, people still use this more than developers want to admit.
(23.04.2006, 23:40)

Bubbi:-
Nice going with those boxes. Although i haven't had the opportunity to use any of these, i have tested them on the mac in the following browsers:
Opera 8.51,
firefox 1.07 + 1,5
Safari 2.0.4
Mozilla 1.7.8
Internet Explorer 5.2

And all of them reads it correctly as far as I know.

I did see that previous posters have tested some of the browsers, but then you could read this as a confirmation to those :)
(05.09.2006, 15:09)

Shash:-
Hi,
First thx for this.
I have a question in the idea :
Is there a way to indicate an absolute position to a div with a percentage AND a pixel value.
For exemple, i want my div to appear like that :

div {

/* Opera */
height: -o-calc(100% - 18px);
/* Standard */
height: calc(100% - 18px);
(14.05.2013, 02:20)

CSS WIZ LOL:-
CSS can't be copyrighted and posting a false copyright claim is punishable with up to $2500.

whanethewhip.wikidot.com/article:you-cannot-copyright-css

Please remove it.
(23.05.2014, 15:27)

This demo is 8 years old and I am not claiming the the CSS is copyrighted. I am just saying that the web page that my demonstration is on is copyright cssplay.
(23.05.2014, 15:54)