Snazzy borders COMMENTS

Adam D:-
I've just set up this code on my personal site (www.dinwoodie.org, still very much lacking in content, but now with snazzy borders!) but I'm having one problem--for some reason, it all goes a bit strange around <a> tags in IE (it's probably easier to see for yourself than explain). I'll be damned if I can work out why, as I haven't touched those in the CSS, so it seems rather bizzare to me.
(21.05.2007, 03:04)

Aaron:-
I've used Snazzy Borders for the animated word balloons on my game site: www.gamesocks.com - to great effect. Thanks Stu!

One thing I noticed is that in IE (6 and 7) the width must be specified (or forced upon the div) or it gets messed up. Firefox and Safari seem to do all right with auto widths or max/min widths.

Thanks again!
(20.08.2007, 17:00)

Roelf:-
Hi, thanks for all the work. I just found that printing the snazzy box leaves out the top and bottom border. This is due to:

.xb1 {margin:0 5px; ackground: #08c;}

So I changed it to:

.xb1 {margin:0 5px; border-top: 1px solid #08c;}

Which works well in IE6 but not in Firefox (the border is visibly bigger), so then I tried:

.xb1 {margin:0 5px; border-top: 1px thin solid #08c;}

This works in Firefox although the error console complains about it.

Any alternatives?
(20.09.2007, 09:27)

Roelf:-
Sorry this should be:

.xb1 {margin:0 5px; background: #08c;}

Left out a "b".
(20.09.2007, 09:28)

Roelf:-
Sorry, as I typed this I realized my boo boo, it should be:

.xb1 {margin:0 5px; border-top: 1px #08c;}

Now it works well in IE6 and Firefox
(20.09.2007, 09:31)

Roelf:-
To my dismay, my method still doesn't print out properly, not sure if our BW laser doesn't have the resolution to print it.
(20.09.2007, 09:40)

Stephen:-
Hello,
Has anybody tried putting a form element into this box? On IE7, it blows out the top and bottom margins.

Use this HTML:
<div class="xsnazzy">
<b class="xtop"><b class="xb1"></b><b class="xb2"></b><b class="xb3"></b><b class="xb4"></b></b>
<div class="xboxcontent">

<form method="post" action="#" name="searchForm" id="searchForm">
<fieldset>
<legend>Search Site</legend>
<label for="searchKeywords">Enter Keywords</label>
<input type="text" id="searchKeywords" name="searchKeywords" class="searchfield" />
<input type="submit" name="Search" value="Search" class="searchbutton" />
</fieldset>
</form>
</div>
<b class="xbottom"><b class="xb4"></b><b class="xb3"></b><b class="xb2"></b><b class="xb1"></b></b>
</div>

Add these lines to the existing xsnazzy CSS:
#searchForm legend {
display: none;
}

#searchForm label {
display: none;
}

#searchForm fieldset {
border: none;
}
(10.03.2008, 20:17)

I think that all you need to do is style the form margins.
form {margin:0;}
(10.03.2008, 20:52)

Stephen:-
Thanks for the quick reply. I keep forgetting that forms have natural margin and padding. I need to apply a "CSS reset" style sheet. Such a silly oversight on my part...

I applied "form { margin: 0; padding: 0}" and that worked.

Thanks!

Cheers!
(11.03.2008, 15:40)

Stephen Waddock:-
Stu,

Love the borders! Question for you. If I wish to use this with two container side by side and set the width of each container in the code, rather than in the css....it works but, the right side column rounded top will does not meet the right edge...by approx 15 px
(02.04.2009, 20:27)