body size COMMENTS

beau:-
Does *not* work in firefox 0.9 on XP; had to fire up IE6 to see what you were talking about. But the comment I'd want to be remembered for is, "Rockin' site!"
(13.07.2004, 19:42)

Your right. It no longer works in the latest versions of Mozilla and Firefox. IE6 only now. BUT there are other, better ways of doing this that are cross browser.
(13.07.2004, 20:22)

Ok...I have updated the CSS so that it works again in Mozilla and Firefox.
(14.07.2004, 21:55)

Mick:-
On IE6 the hozizontal scrollbar does not kick in as the screen is shrunk below the size of the enclosed content. Worse, my browser lose the vertical scrollbar.
Any ideas how to work around this problem?
(27.01.2005, 10:54)

Mick, This is a totally non-standard way of doing things at the moment and, as you have found, there may be problems with it. I do not know of any way round this except to define permanent scroll bars in place of auto.
(28.01.2005, 11:18)

cofie:-
in Opera 8.0, there is a scroll bar, but it does nothing! can't see below:
overflow:auto; /* to add scroll bars if required */
This is interesting...
(15.05.2005, 16:01)

Yup, that's why I have put that Opera doen't quite make it.
(15.05.2005, 16:17)

Jack:-
Has a problem with Firefox 1.0.7 -- bottom of scrolled area is pushed off the bottom of the screen. Any idea how to fix this (or get the same effect differently)? Thanks.
(08.11.2005, 16:09)

Gavin:-
Links in the body are also in boxes. How should we restrict the menu formatting to the menu bar links only?
(09.01.2006, 22:16)

Gavin, just put #menu in front of the menu link styling, then create another style for your 'body' links.
(09.01.2006, 22:31)

Stone:-
Awesome stuff here Stu.
I'm playing around with the code from your demo for "show me more" and it's fantastic, but in Firefox, if you have any links inside the em the link and all text after it show up and can not be hidden (works fine in ie)... I tried creating a seperate class and assigning to the link, but no dice. Any ideas?
thanks!
stone
(02.03.2006, 19:31)

Anonym:-
Perhaps the reason it doesn't work in firefox 0.9 is 0.9 is outdated. Get 1.5 and it'll work perfectly.
(27.03.2006, 12:57)

atp:-
could you give me a tip about how I can incorporate a submenu in your main menu of this style.
Thanks!
(29.03.2006, 20:48)

Marcel Jong:-
It's not working correctly in FireFox 1.5.0.1. The bottom part of the scroll bar is 'lost' below.
(18.04.2006, 07:48)

Minimal:-
I cannot get this layout to work with in-page links. If you set the menu buttons to goto #linkname, and the link is in the body, then the layout screws up. The body section moves back to the top of the screen. I'm using IE6
(23.05.2006, 11:00)

Floris van Manen:-
using firefox 1.5.0.4 the width of the body is incorrect. part of the texts gets hidden behind the vertical scrollbar...
(27.07.2006, 01:54)

frank:-
This is yust so cool!
(23.11.2006, 09:41)

Ric:-
Mozilla left aligns content if i use the following CSS. I would rather not use the <center> tag. Any suggestions.

body {text-align: center}
(11.02.2007, 23:32)

Cooper:-
Very simple and easy to understand, thanks for all this Stu
(09.04.2007, 09:07)

Bridget:-
This isn't working too well on FF or Safari for Mac. On Safari there is no vertical scrollbar and the bottom gets chopped off. I can (literally) jiggle the contents up to be viewable by quickly resizing the window. In FF the bottom is a bit chopped off - but there is a vertical scrollbar. I wrapped the main content in a div and set some padding to the bottom and that fixed it for FF but still no joy with Safari.
(06.06.2007, 07:43)

:p:-
hey guys
(25.06.2007, 05:39)

Jonas Erlandsson:-
Second on Marcel Jong's post. Using FF 2.0.0.6 under Ubuntu 7.04 the bottom part of the scrollbar is lost under the edge ;o)

Still a way cool design. Will experiment more with the body-resize stuff and see if it is truly useful. Thanks Stu! For yet another insight into the mysteries.

It's always a blast trying to figure out how you did it before reading the source ;o)

By the way, is this your job? If not, how the h*ll do you find time for it? I'd love to sit and play all day with this stuff but the hours wont go around ;o)

Cheers! Jonas, Sweden (d-Pixie{at}home.se)
(14.08.2007, 21:47)

Jonas, thanks for the feedback and good luck with the layout. CSSplay is not my job and neither is webdesign. I am an electro-mechanical design draughtsman (full time) but have a very understanding wife :) Most evenings I spend at least 4 hours at the PC investigating the possibilities of CSS.
(15.08.2007, 19:58)

bart:-
Thanks, going to built a comment system with it.
If it turns out good i`ll show it.
Looking good.
Its 1:31 am and the required field of Stu`s first name kept me pondering... not good ;-)
edit: and the field IS required... bastard!
bart_great@veryveryhotmail.com
(12.10.2007, 00:31)

n0000b:-
Quite buggy in FF2/IE7 - like most of your old or non-updated examples. //To me// and after loading your codes in various browsers, CSS mean more and more: 'overcomplicated', 'hyperunfriendlypoison', 'developmentcostabyssal', 'crossbrowsernonsenseandbugs', 'wowidontwanttousecssanylonger', 'shouldweallswitchtoflashandpaidsolutions'... (no time for lazy translation from a noob standpoint). :/
(22.12.2007, 14:46)

satya:-
Can you have a look at the url: www.bluewebdesigning.com for help me improve this site.
Thanks