drop variation COMMENTS

DarkArchon:-
Stu,

Me and a friend been trying to add fly-out's to this menu, but haven't been able to make it work. Can you give us an example of how to make it work? Or is there some reason it won't work at all?
(26.09.2007, 22:32)

Sean:-
I'm in the process of developing a site for a client, and I loved your pure CSS drop variation menu. So far I have the menus working perfectly in IE7/Firefox/Safari. The menu by itself (see link below) displays fine in IE6, yet when it's dropped into the full site it no longer displays (again, see link below). There is a black gap where the menu should be, and only the wrapping div's background color is shown.

Any ideas?

Full site:
test.epscomm.com/test/ody3/index.html

Menu alone:
test.epscomm.com/test/ody3/menu.html

If we can get this working my company will absolutely donate to your site. If not I'll have to use a (sigh) javascript drop down.

Thanks for your time (and your code), I realize you're a very busy person.

-Sean L
(15.11.2007, 16:34)

Sean, it looks like a z-index problem. Try giving the top level .menu a high z-index
(15.11.2007, 17:29)

Sean:-
Stu -

Thanks for the tip. Sadly, that didn't seem to do it. I tried z-index of 2, 500, 1000 on .menu. I also tried setting the other divs to -1. Nothing seems to work. Any other thoughts?
(15.11.2007, 20:13)

Sean, add width:800px; to the .menu style
(15.11.2007, 21:02)

Sean:-
Stu, that looks like it may have worked! Your time is much appreciated!
(16.11.2007, 13:44)

sean:-
Stu, another quick question (maybe). Our designer likes what I've done so far, but he'd really like each menu item to be a different width. As it's coded now every menu item is the same width, he would like each to be as wide as the text (or image) within (the drop down's would all be the same size). How hard is it to accomplish this? Is this a simple css tweak or will I have to build separate classes for every button? How would this effect the IE 5.5/6 hacks?

Again, thanks Stu!
(16.11.2007, 16:48)

sean, just a small tweak to the css. Remove the width from the:
.menu ul li a, .menu ul li a:visited {
and add left and right padding instead to suit.
(16.11.2007, 20:50)

Atom:-
Stu-

I am working on using this particular menu (great job btw )

My issue is I have :

/* set up the default top level links */
.menu ul li a, .menu ul li a:visited {

Setup with a background image, however on my last menu option I do not want that background image.

I've tried setting up seperate classes and ID's but have had no luck.

I'd love to hear how you would accomplish this.

Thanks in advance
Atom
(12.06.2008, 22:24)

Atom:-
Hi Stu-

Please disregard my message, I solved the issue.
Just an inline style on the <a> tag will do it :)

Thanks!