fade scroll COMMENTS

Tim:-
I posted this message on the wrong page, so here it is on the correct page:

Stu, when did overflow:auto; or scroll for that matter start to function with the middle wheel? I always remembered the scroll bar only working with the cursor in IE, no middle wheel. I don't recall your layouts with div scroll bars being middle wheelable. This is great, do tell more. Thanks

-Tim
(17.12.2005, 21:39)

Tim, as far as I know the mousewheel has worked for some time in IE (certainly with IE6). There was a problem with FF, but that has been sorted with v1.5
(17.12.2005, 22:50)

gmn17:-
very impressive for the idea and result, great!
(18.12.2005, 06:08)

Jo-an:-
Stu you can use a IE conditonal comment and server alternate styles for IE5.0 and IE5.5 and IE6.0 (WIN)
IE5.5-IE6
html .fade_bottom {
filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(enabled=true, sizingMethod=scale src='/menu/graphics/fade_bottom.png');
background-image: none;
background-repeat: repeat;
}
html .fade_top {
filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(enabled=true, sizingMethod=scale src='/menu/graphics/fade_top.png');
background-image: none;
background-repeat: repeat;
}
for IE5.0 (use the same image as you would for png, that is same dimensions but make it a non-transparent.gif)
html body .fade_bottom {

html body for IE5.0
html for IE5.5 and IE6

and an import hack for IE5.0 inside comments

@media tty {
i{content:"\";/*" "*/}}; @import 'ie50.css'; {;}/*";}
}/* */

Not sure about html div.fade_top or html .fade_top ?
(19.12.2005, 14:31)

Jo-an, I could, but this site is CSS only, no javascript and no proprietory styling. I have dropped any further Opacity demos for this reason until the main browsers take up w3c opacity recommendations.
(19.12.2005, 14:35)

Dave:-
Hey Stu, back in 2001 I designed a site that I never actually put out onto the web until now. It did a fading-scroll, like you've done with CSS.
You can see it here:
NOTE*
While I did not stick strictly to CSS, I think the effect is pretty cool. I scoured the web trying to find other examples of this, and I couldn't find any back then. This might have been the first.
You also might find my nav menu interesting. One menu item expands to a submenu.
There is also a link at the bottom of the navigation frame. It resizes the frame. Again, I scoured the web prior to writing the script, but was unable to find anyone who had done this.
There is a link to a pseudo-dropdown menu I designed so that I could totally customize the way a dropdown menu looks, but I never did add it to the page.
The Javascript file is well commented.
* NOTE: I didn't try to cross-browser the site. It was designed for IE 5.5 or 6 (I'm not sure which it was). If any of these codes are cross-browser, I'd love to know.
To contact me, there is an email form at my blog:
(03.01.2006, 22:40)

Dave, looks interesting but only works in IE.
(03.01.2006, 23:10)