fixit layout 4 COMMENTS

BW:-
Exactly the layout I was looking for, great! Though I have to admit I'd rather see a solution without the XML prolog, because it warps MSIE into quirksmode *bummer!*. My quest continues, but thanks for this insight and direction!
(07.04.2005, 14:22)

EdzoHogusava:-
Respect man! This help me a lot in building my script interface - exactly as I planed!
(17.05.2005, 23:08)

HerrFlick:-
Oh I can't begin to thank you enough :), I was about to go with a javascript eventhandler solution :S
(26.08.2005, 15:59)

craigo:-
Stu, thank you for your work. I've been trying to eliminate the footer whilst keeping the "down arrow" on each of the columns' vertical scroll bars. Works fine in FF & Mozilla but disappears in IE 6. Am I missing something?
(15.09.2005, 05:44)

Tim:-
Stu, gorgeous work–truly inspiring. As a Mac user, you've given me hope that IE6 can be tamed and conquered! Thank you for sharing. Two questions: 1. I notice you have a different technique for putting IE6 into quirks mode in this source code when compared with the code here: http://www.webreference.com/programming/css_frames/index.html Is one better than the other? 2. Is there any way to get anchors to work within the the four column, fluid layout? I've tried, but without success. In hopes you'll have a minute to reply–thank you!
(27.09.2005, 19:42)

Tim, to put IE into quirks mode you just need to add a line before the doctype so either method will work, but I suppose that the xml line is more correct. As for anchors in the layout, I didn't realise there was a problem. They should work within each column but not across columns.
(28.09.2005, 08:54)

Tim:-
Stu, thanks for the reply. Your research (and generosity!) is proving essential in putting together the final layout for a project I've been working on for over a year. This may interest you:
http://www.hypergolica.net/web/public/fluxDemo.htm From top to bottom: For the box in the header i've use the tantek hack, but you do something instead, right? It has something to do with * html trick, but I've never fully understood that. I used your list menu but when I had it centered, it didn't work in IE 6. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that I've got it in side a div that is inside a div etc. ? Click item 5 in the menu it will move down to a test anchor. I tried the same thing in a replica of your "playground CSS" model and the "4 column sushi layout". Didn't work. Biggest problem is the three columns. I had to float the third column right as I couldn't get it to work otherwise. While it works on Safari, Firefox and IE 6 do not like my percentages for widths and margins. Is there a "box model" hack for IE 6 when you use percentages instead of specific measures? I'd be most grateful for your insight. Best, Tim.
(28.09.2005, 13:49)

Tim:-
Stu: after an entire day of Googling, reading, coding and debugging, it would seem things are now under control. Of course, sloppy code will get you no where, and there was a bit of sloppy code in the previous example. I moved from the Tantek hack to the Tan hack, also fully understand now the meaning of * html etc. and used that for the margins in the three columns. still an odd effect in third column in Firefox 1.0.3 on Mac. Here's the latest: http://www.hypergolica.net/web/public/fluxDemo2.htm In any event, I wouldn't have made this climb without your help. Thanks again.
(28.09.2005, 22:27)

DeadMeatGF:-
Man - I've just stumbled across this layout and it demonstrates EXACTLY the technique I've been after - one that all forums I've posted on have said is impossible - especially in IE.
Can't wait to dissect it and adapt it to my nefarious needs ... and you'll get a credit on the page :)
(12.11.2005, 00:49)

Ultraniblet:-
Thanks so much for making and maintaining this site Stu. Pure class. I hope whoever you work for pays you enough!
(14.12.2005, 20:07)