image map menu COMMENTS

David, you will need to increase the size of the ul then position the span text using absolute positioning.
(24.08.2005, 18:50)

David:-
Thanks Stu. My ul main image is 277px high, so I increased it to 350px. I then used #info a#area1:hover span {position: relative; top: 300px; left: 10px; display: block; z-index: 5} but no joy :o(
(25.08.2005, 11:47)

David, you will need to use position:absolute not relative. Positions will be taken 'absolutely' from the top left of the <ul> which has a relative position.
(25.08.2005, 12:07)

David:-
Oh I see, the span position is only visible if inside the size of the li it is placed in. I don`t think what I want to do is possible then.
(25.08.2005, 12:33)

David, I may have misled you with my last answer. The <ul> has a relative position. Each <a> tag has it's own absolute position. So any <span> within each <a> tag will need a position:absolute that is calculated on the absolute position of the link. So if for instance the link had a top position of 200px then the span should have a top position of 100px to give a total of 300px relative to the <ul>. Hope this makes sense.
(25.08.2005, 12:58)

Anonym:-
Sorry Stu I think I'm being really thick with this. Here is what I have http://www.derwentliving.com/to_rent/try.html is this along the lines of what you explain?
(25.08.2005, 13:18)

David, what you are trying to do can best be demonstated by this tutorial:
(25.08.2005, 15:15)

David:-
Thanks for the link Stu, will look into it.
(26.08.2005, 09:28)

David:-
That example was superb, exactly what I wanted. Is it possible to take it a step further and keep the text visible instead of disappearing when the cursor is moved away, until it hovers over another hotspot at least? Or would a mouse click work? I tried working with the :active tag but no luck so far.
(26.08.2005, 10:59)

David, to keep the text in place you will need to use the mouse click state. For Internet Explorer this is :active, but Firefox etx use :focus.
Opera, however, does not hold these states when the mouse button is released.
To see this in action look here:
(26.08.2005, 11:08)