minimum width layout COMMENTS

Lena:-
Nice trick with the layout idea but I don't like the arrows, too many and too big.
(25.12.2005, 04:29)

Lena, the demonstration was for the minimum width layout that works in IE (not really for the Alice album) but I will see what can be done with the arrows ;o)
(25.12.2005, 10:58)

Julian:-
--> Resize your browser window and see the width shrink from 90% to a minimum of 700px, after which scroll bars will be added in all browsers - hopefully ;o)

well done but in firefox 1.5 there are no scrolbars when window is not in maximum size

btw i argree with lena
(28.12.2005, 21:05)

Julian (again):-
there´s horizontal scrollbar.
the vertical on disapers, if window widthis smaler then 700px.

in ie everything wrks fine
(28.12.2005, 21:11)

Julian, it works ok in my Firefox v1.5 where both scroll bars are visible all of the time.
(28.12.2005, 21:17)

Julian:-
restarting my system, does not helpout.
here some more informations:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5

for further information feel free to contact me : cssplay[at]julianbrinke[dot]de
(28.12.2005, 22:15)

GaryBadger:-
Stu, you may have gathered that I struggled with an earlier min-width example of yours, but this one is great and easy even for a simple guy like me. Works well in FF + IE + Opera, and I can learn from what you have done here. Thank you.
(29.12.2005, 09:29)

Julian, my version is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5. The same as yours but en-GB instead of de so should not be any different. Does nayone else have a problem with Firefox v1.5?
(29.12.2005, 15:04)

GaryBadger, glad it is of use to you.
(29.12.2005, 15:04)

WarAxe:-
Very nicely done! BTW, which portion of your CSS disabled the focus highlighting?
(30.12.2005, 16:16)

WarAxe, reducing the link to zero size for :active and :focus When the link has no size it has no border.
(30.12.2005, 17:49)

apnerve.:-
Wow...at last my search for a good website has ended. Infact I always wanted a CSS dedicated website as I'm a CSS fan. I liked your archieves with stylesheet switcher. Well..can I use your stylesheet switcher??
:: Read my blog: http://www.apnerve.blogspot.com
(01.01.2006, 12:45)

apnerve, it's there to be used. I have no copyright on this method.
(01.01.2006, 13:44)

Julian:-
I've reinstalled FF - there's no problem left
just want to mentioned it ;)
(14.01.2006, 20:23)

apnerve:-
Hello stu,
I'm planning to launch a website: www.gurujee.tk - free guru for iitjee on the web. I would like to use some of your CSS tricks in that.I want to put a link(image) back to your site... pls tell the url of the image.
(16.01.2006, 06:53)

Julian:-
@apnerve: click on the home-button and scroll down, there´s an image for linkingthis site ;)
(16.01.2006, 11:52)

eide:-
Hi

Great example - but it does not work for me in Opera correctly: when I click the arrow, image is replaced, but when I release mouse button - the default image is back there..
I have Opera 8.02.
BTW: is there way to identify Opera browser even when it's cloaking itself - pretending to be explorer/mozilla?

PS: You have a great website here:-)
(18.01.2006, 17:40)

eide, this is an example of minimum width in IE. The demo shown here is just a copy of the one at http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/hover_click.html where it is mentioned that Opera has a problem with active/focus not being held after the mouse click (a failing in Opera im afraid). I don't think there is any way round the cloaking of Opera, not even sure why they need to do this now.
(19.01.2006, 08:00)

Toma:-
Hi "father" ;)

This Alice one doesnt work in opera 8,51 (and others?). Full image gets loaded but never displayed.

btw,
Nonrectangulars are AMAZING!!
(20.01.2006, 07:37)

Toma, as discussed earlier, Opera acts differently to other browsers in that the mouse click (active/focus) state is only displayed while the mouse button is held down. So if you want to see the full image keep the mouse button held down. As soon as you release the button the active/focus state is lost.
(20.01.2006, 21:36)

John:-
Min-width is what I needed. Thank you!

Interesting effect: FF seems to cache all the images, so 'flipping' through the arrows or quickly clicking images seems fine.

IE (6.01) seems to want to download each arrow fresh on a mouse-over, so quickly mousing over the arrows leaves blank spaces while the no-hover arrow is downloaded again. Is that a bug or a "feature"? Either way, I haven't seen that behaviour before so wondering if it's the CSS that causes the hiccup.

No matter what, though: thank you for making your creativity in code available for learners like me!
(30.03.2006, 16:50)

hexdj:-
Say I have this fireworks graphic table (the puzzle kind) with several links to my site.

I have tried using the Javascript that FWmx adds automatically but for some reason it won't work.

I just found this page with this great album that you made. Is it possible to give some of my table cells the IDs that you use in this example so I don't have to use Javascript to flip my images anymore?

Thanks! luv your site!
(11.04.2006, 04:49)

Antti:-
I'm using min-width with my current work project and this makes me wonder; what makes it tick in IE? I don't recognize those "* html " before class definitions. What do they stand for?
(16.05.2006, 08:15)

Jesseo:-
could you give a quick overview how
/*\*/
functions as a hack, as per the following example:

* html .container {
margin-left: -700px;
position: relative;
}
/*\*/
* html .container, * html .content {
height: 1px;
}
(22.05.2006, 06:55)

Jesseo, this is one of the ways of hidding a style from Mac IE.
There are many explanations of this on the web, for instance:

webhost.bridgew.edu/etribou/layouts/exp/iemac5_version_hack.html
(22.05.2006, 09:39)

Jacob:-
breaks badly in Safari
(07.06.2006, 14:14)

Whoop John:-
Doesn't work in Mac Safari. Arrows all turn up. Links not clickable. A host of arrows appear at right of screen.
(19.06.2006, 14:12)

Holly Stevens:-
Stu, I'm setting up a new blog and thinking about trying out your "simple minimum width for IE" layout. I can't find the copyright instructions about it except for a standard copyright mark and "all rights reserved" at the bottom. You say most of your designs don't need approval but some need email approval, so to be safe, I'm asking. Thanks.
(10.09.2006, 19:58)

Roberto Dell'Agnola:-
Thank you Sir, i found your site as a mine of ideas.
I will use this tecnique for a public-municipality-italian website.
Will tell you when ll be online.
And i ll be glad to share with you some ideas i fun-had too..
as my 16.8 million colour webpage.. :D
it take 180 days to see it all..
Anyway, thank you, and thanks, grazie.
Roberto
(23.11.2006, 11:35)

Brian:-
Interesting technique. Care to explain how it works? I'm assuming it has to do with the margin -700 and padding 700, but it doesn't make sense at first glance.
(13.02.2007, 20:19)

Brian, I have a tutorial on the web here www.webreference.com/programming/min-width/
that goes into the details.
(13.02.2007, 21:24)