non floating menus COMMENTS

Jo-an:-
Get well soon, Stu ...
(04.08.2005, 21:06)

Jo-an, thanks. I am having a few problems at the moment with my health. I am suffering from Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (a type of autoimmune thyroid disease) and it looks like it may have spread to other organs. I had an upper and lower endoscopy a week ago which found a problem in my stomach. Still waiting for results of biopsy to confirm what it is.
Hopefully it is not too serious and they can treat it. Anyway, feeling a bit better now so will take a look at your your car :hover and :active states to see if there is any way to improve. I will post here if I find an answer.
(07.08.2005, 20:45)

Jo-an:-
Stu: here is the original post regarding the car example http://avalonstar.com/featurettes/runningwithsprites

My findings: a DOM script could help too, changing className styles. But we are here to do it CSS-wise ...
(12.08.2005, 12:28)

Jo-an, I have had a quick look at the page http://avalonstar.com/featurettes/runningwithsprites and have come up with this alternative http://www.stunicholls.myby.co.uk/test/car.html
This one is slightly different in that it does not move the background image but moves the whole link instead ;o) It suffers from the same IE fault in that the active state doesn't always work until you move the mouse off the link. It works in FF and Opera using the :focus pseudo class (Opera needs the mouse button to be held down). Hope this is of some use. I also changed the car image from a .png to a .jpg to reduce the image file size.
(13.08.2005, 13:14)

Jo-an, I have tamed the bug in IE whereby the :active state didn't always work until you moved the mouse of the link. It is a curious bug, but all it needs is a global a:visited state to be defined. So I have added a:visited {color:#000;} and now the :active state works every time in IE. A very odd bug and a very odd fix.
(13.08.2005, 19:24)

Jo-an:-
Stu, you did a great job. I looked at the test example, and indeed declaring a style for the 'link' text in IE can invoke the a:active state to be fixed.
(15.08.2005, 20:57)

Jo-an, I stumbled on this fix by accident when I noticed that 'menu fifteen' on my site did not have a problem with the :active state. The only difference was that this page also uses my default cssplay.css so I set about removing styles one at a time until menu fifteen had the problem. All that was left in the end was the a:visited style so I added that and all was fixed.
(15.08.2005, 22:23)

Jo-an:-
Stu, your comment on why not use jpeg instead of pngs to reduce filesize is certainly to be considdered. One can of course use third-party plug-ins as there is superPNG (to reduce filesize of pngs in Photshop), or make the png in fireworks (here the png filesize is somehow reduced). But in this case, the png can be replaced with jpeg easily.

the IE flicker problem, with the background styles that cause the reloading of the images is still a big problem. Cache settings I tried for eg Apache, these settings in .htaccess at root levell:

<FilesMatch ".(gif|jpe?g|png)$">
Header append Cache-Control "max-age=86400, must-revalidate"
</Files>

The 'sprites' method surely does not benefit with the IE flicker but we can preload our images, and so seperate sliced images can help ou too.
(16.08.2005, 13:54)

I have found some success in stopping the flicker by using the following in .htaccess

ExpiresActive On
ExpiresDefault A18000
ExpiresByType image/jpeg A2592000

and have a demo here
(17.08.2005, 09:03)

Jo-an:-
comments on the car example are not accesible at this time.
(19.08.2005, 15:02)