partial opacity COMMENTS

Tim:-
Stu, with the CSS method which fails in Opera, do you think it's possible to remove the opacity applied to the text? Reason being is I'm trying to have a light shade bg, yet the text it also light (too light) decreasing readability.
(09.01.2006, 22:01)

Tim:-
I've tried wrapping the text only in an <em> and setting the opacity of the em with no luck.
(09.01.2006, 22:02)

Tim, on my example one the text does not have any opacity. I have used two containers - one for the opacity and another for the text.
(09.01.2006, 22:28)

Tim:-
I'm using links with a opac background, within the link I tried using em div, etc.. whatever background I apply to the text element within the link, it's still opac like the links bg.
(09.01.2006, 23:25)

Tim, aaah... in my example I have used two separate containers (not one within another). Whatever you place within an opaque container will also be opaque. I don't know of any way round this.
(09.01.2006, 23:31)

John:-
This problem bit me too. The CSS3 spec states that while the opacity value is not inherited, it is applied to all contained elements. So if you want a transparent background, but fully opaque foreground (text), then the foreground has to be in a separate element--not nested within the background element--and positioned appropriately.

What we really need is something like background-opacity.
(07.02.2006, 16:54)

Mike Lyle:-
I have perused your site for many months, Stu, I am so impressed with your diligence to detail, changing and going back over things to make them better! If you aren't yet a Christian, you should be! We need people like you to lead people like me!
michaelaaronlyle@netscape.net
(19.03.2006, 03:06)

DeadMeatGF:-
Checking this out in IE7 beta, looks like they're all working as designed from here :)
(20.03.2006, 12:19)

Niddhogg:-
All correct in Opera 9 TP, build 8333. :)
(31.03.2006, 23:48)