position fixed COMMENTS

Rob:-
Like Guenter here as well, I've been trying very hard to make this work with a centered layout where the foremost layer is not tied to the left edge. Can anyone tell us if this is at all possible or am I wasting time even trying?
(10.04.2008, 06:14)

alice:-
hi stu,

I know I'm a bit late on this, but I have the following problem with the fixed positioning:

when resizing my browser's window, the content scrolls underneath the main menu (this element is fixed positioned).

How can I determine the fixed positioned menu, to be fixed only in the vertical coordinates, so that it stays in screen when you scroll up or down, but it scrolls horizontally with the content when the browser window is smaller...?? So that the 2 elements don't overlapp in horizontal scrolling...

I don't know if this is possible, but I'll take any other solution you offer.

thank you!
(15.04.2008, 16:26)

Dhruba:-
It does not work in my website
(31.07.2008, 18:17)

Lance:-
Would it be possible to have this respect a containing element? IE..

<table>
<tr>
<td>A very long post....</td>
<td><div>fixed sidebar</div></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Content that won't be overlapped</td>
</tr>
</table>
(09.08.2008, 07:15)

Michiel:-
Hy Stu

you're the best! Your solution to the problem that IE can't fix positions has been very helpfull!
Now I can make fixed navagtionbars while the content can scroll!
(25.01.2009, 13:34)

Michiel:-
Hi

if you want to keep both menu as the content in the middle of the screen at any resolution, you have to change in Stu's code:

in #menu (on top of <head>): set the width on 100%, and...paste the menu itself (in <body>) in the right column of table of 2 columns. Set the total of the table also on 100%, but the left column you put on 20% for example.

It's not perfect, but you can see how the menu keeps fixed in vertical position but also is flexible in horizontal position when the screenresolution has changed. Whenever you want to change the horizontal position of the menu, experiment with the left positon in #menu (in px) and with the width (in %) of the left table.

look also at:
www (point)
rockarolla (point)
nl (slash)
test (slash)
cssnavtest (point)
htm
(26.01.2009, 20:39)

RKG:-
Hi lots thanks for the trick several years later stills very usefull, couse too many IE6s still out there, almost drove me nuts the...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

...header, it disables the whole trick. Why? I dunno...

Also I found a little problem related, at least for me, IE6 always puts a lateral scroll bar that is very convenient for web applications (to not displace elements when page size require a vertical scroll bar, in fact I'm using another CSS trick to force it in Safari and Firefox), to correct this I've found usefull add this line to your ie6's conditional macro "[if lte ie 6]":
body {overflow-y:scroll;}

Now this is working exactly as I want for my application. Thank you!
(29.01.2009, 16:20)

Michiel:-
Hello
I discovered there's one problem with the "position: fixed" page and it codes...browser Opera enlarges the line height a lot! And changing it in the stylesheet doesn't solve the problem! However, this problem does not appear in IE, Firefos, Chrome and Safari.
(01.02.2009, 12:45)

dhursan:-
Another satisfied developer :)
Thank you very much!
(26.03.2009, 16:06)

TigerLily:-
I'd been looking for this solution for over a month. Thank you !
(11.09.2009, 23:07)