position fixed COMMENTS

StoicJester:-
i'm very happy to have found this. all the other solutions i've found to fix a menu have been javascript, but i much prefer css. Simplicity, Simplicity, Simplicity!

this trick didn't work for me when i declared my encoding using <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>. once i removed that and used a meta tag instead, it worked.
(31.03.2006, 23:27)

StoicJester:-
are you sure absolute and relative can't be used in other parts of the document? my menu that i'm fixing relies on relative and absolute positioning to hide and show elements, and it works fine for me.
(31.03.2006, 23:29)

StoicJester:-
nevermind on the encoding thing. it works now.

sorry for the triple post. :p
(01.04.2006, 00:03)

Chewi:-
Would you believe I actually triggered this by accident? I started getting the "fixed" effect without even trying and I couldn't figure out why until I saw this. I thought it was pretty weird because I knew that "position: fixed" doesn't work in IE. The funny thing is that even though it was an accident, it actually looks really good.
(11.04.2006, 11:34)

Anonym:-
The 100% work around for IE6 will make IE7 go like booboo... :)
(23.04.2006, 23:19)

Djemmers:-
hi stu, looks great!
and it works!
I got 2 questions...
1: I don't get it working under IE6 (how do I use the added comments ?)
2: I have another problem, I use <center> </center> to position my site (800x...) so when the browser window is smaller,everything adjusts, except the menu off course.now it hovers above text (not my intention)

tnx
(26.05.2006, 09:29)

c_dric:-
it's such a great hack ...

it's a pity i can't use it on the same page as the Lightbox script because it uses position : absolute :[

i wish i could find a way to make them work together ...
(26.05.2006, 17:58)

Jimmy:-
I'm using this excellent method to fix a header and a menu in a website. I'm trying to use anchors to skip to certain sections of the page, but when I click the anchor it sends the content under the header. I fixed it in FF by adding some padding on the anchors, but no luck in ie6 nor ie7
(01.06.2006, 00:22)

Mr Longs:-
How do i create a website that doest have horizontal scrollbar due to overflow,

thanks
(03.07.2006, 18:34)

Mr Longs, make it fluid. This way all the containers will shrink horizontally when resized.
(03.07.2006, 18:59)