tracking images COMMENTS

Tim Callahan:-
Aw Stu.. Winnie-the-Pooh, brings back fond memories of childhood.

This tracking technique is great, I'm very impressed that you were able to take previous methods and improve upon both disadvantages of the two.

After seeing this method I remembered the ALA articles (i'm sure your familiar with them) called Cross Column Pull-Outs 1 & 2 (http://www.alistapart.com/articles/crosscolumn)
(http://www.alistapart.com/articles/crosscolumn2/).

Talk to you later,
Kind Regards
(29.10.2005, 17:54)

Roy:-
WOW! THIS IS COOL! AND I WON'T EVEN HAVE TO EDIT PICTURES!
(30.04.2006, 21:24)

Martin:-
I'm actually not as fond of this method because you're abusing the poor "em" tag, and you have to enclose the text within its own div.

I think Eric's method is preferable for a general site with an image along the side, where yours is better if one is sure the text won't overflow the image.
(18.07.2006, 17:15)

Henry:-
I adapted your work here to a situation requiring the text to start somewhere below the first line alongside the image; see obscur.us/flow.html . In order to push the text down, I created blank lines with a class applied to em tags giving a width equal to the image's width, one em for each line. However, this breaks in IE (6 at least). To make it work, I wrapped all blank line ems in <del style="text-decoration:none;display:block;height:0"></del>

Works in Firefox 1.5, Seamonkey, IE 6 at least.

H.
(25.10.2006, 05:42)

Henry:-
I should note that all the blank line ems mentioned in my explanation above are wrapped in a single <del>, not each with its own <del>.

I suppose by Martin's lights I'm also abusing the del tag. All I claim for it is that it works & validates.

H.
(25.10.2006, 05:50)

Henry:-
Something further: using this technique, one can't use <em> to denote italic text within the text that is being offset alongside the image. Text put in em tags is bumped below the image. If you have to use italics in such text, you can use the old-fashioned <i> tag, the <dfn> tag, or a span with an appropriate font-style style.
(25.10.2006, 09:35)

Casey:-
Hi there. Thanks for all the great tutorials. I used this text tracking method for a big question mark on my FAQ page where the questions slide along the back side of the ?. I think it makes the page look a bit more interesting, but it's probably still a bit too bland.

I linked to your site at www.adopt-a-patient.110mb.com ; it's in the bottom left corner along with some other links.

Anyway, thanks again for all your hard work.
(09.12.2009, 13:00)