validating pull-up COMMENTS

Dimmy:-
Nice thanks a lot

But why does IE needs tables? I mean for what reason did you add that for IE? Its hard for me to change my php menu builder to generate that pice of code. will see what happents.

Thanks again
(22.03.2006, 08:07)

The whole problem with producing these menus is that IE does not yet understand li:hover. All other modern browsers allow this so you can nest unordered lists and use li:hover to open the cascade.
IE ONLY understands a:hover so to get this to work in IE you need to nest links within links which is not only an invalid thing to do but it also confuses IE as to which link ends where.
To fool IE into getting this to work I have found that if the nested links are placed in tables then IE can sort out which link is which and allows me to style nested links. Other browsers will not allow nested links or tables in links (which will not validate).
So IE gets nested links using tables which are hidden from the validator by conditional comments and uses a:hover to open the cascade, and other browsers get nested unordered lists and use li:hover to open the cascade.

If you remove the tables it will not work.

Hope this clarifies the menu structure.
(22.03.2006, 08:17)

Dimmy:-
ok thank you

and if I use the hover anything hack (I know its javascript again) that It schould work I think. I will try this and let you know.

more on this hover thing in IE here.
www.xs4all.nl/~peterned/hovercraft.html

greets Dimmy
(22.03.2006, 08:27)

Dimmy, if you use javascript to make this work then you can use any of the hundreds of javascript menu systems freely available. The whole point of this one is that it does not rely upon javascript and it will still work if javascript is turned off.
Javascript only menus should be avoided or should have a backup system if visitors have javascript turned off.
(22.03.2006, 08:40)

Doesn't quite work in Netscape 8.0, but a fix is on the way.
(22.03.2006, 10:05)

Dimmy:-
getting it to work I think (wise.kinghosting.nl)
man this css stuf is hard to grasp somehow in FF my content div bloks the pointer if i want to select a submenu I tryed z-index vor the nav div but it does not work, when I make the content div bigger below the nav the menu works fine but somhow when the pointer hits the boundry of the content div it stops working.

Thank you for this great script will get it to work (I hope)
(22.03.2006, 21:30)

Dennis:-
your menus are absolutely great! thanks a lot for your work and great site!

i just wrote a (very) little frame-work for list-css-based navigations and making a drop-down-navigation out of it would be more than cool. the problem ist: what do you understand under cross-browser?

at least ie 5.0 and opera 7 do not open the sub-menu. are there some ways to make the navigation work in these browsers or is this hopeless? perhaps a little javascript could/would work?

i would prefer using my list-menu without javascript, but i think, that there are more users using the older browsers than users, who have javascript disabled!?
(18.04.2006, 16:33)

Dennis, I am afraid that IE5.0 and Opera 7 are not up to this level of CSS. However as the top level menu items are links, these should be used to link to pages that also contain the sub level items.
I have done this with the example menu. If you click on the top level you will see a page with the sub level links.
This way it doesn't matter that the menu doesn't pull up or drop down, your visitors will still be able to navigate.
(18.04.2006, 17:35)

Edward:-
Hello, Stu:

Please E-mail me instructions on how to download and incorporate a menu into my website. I'll gladly add a link from my index.htm page back to this site. I can't pay for the menu, though. I have little or no money. I'll do what I can to credit you, anyhow.

Thanks. BTW, my E-mail address is Creek42485@aol.com
(23.05.2006, 14:19)

Karl:-
First, let me say thank you. You have given me lots of ideas of how I can use CSS. You are providing a great resource for those of us interested in growing and developing in the web development community.

OK, now I like this menu I think it's great, but I am having a problem trying to right align the UL's. I am wondering if you could possibly help me.
So far this is what I have done:
.upmenu { ... width:100%; ... }
.upmenu ul li a, .upmenu ul li a:visited { ... border-width:0 1px 1px 1px; ... }
.upmenu ul {float:right; ... }

The problem I am facing is that in IE6 the submenu's do not disappear they stay visible after being rolled over. But if I remove the float:right from the .upmenu ul { ... } declaration everything works fine again.

I realize you must get lots of request for assistance, but I do hope you get to this one.

Thanks again.
(25.07.2006, 21:07)

Steven:-
I have a link using Javascript, is there anyway to hide this link if the user has their javascript disabled?
Thanks
(20.12.2006, 10:19)

zuma:-
your menus are great. this pull-up is the one i need, but it doesn't work in netscape 7.1. is it possiple to fix it? the final pull-up menu doesn't also work with netscape 7.1.
Many Thanks